Pages

Saturday, May 12, 2012

More About Mom

Mom crocheted, quilted and sewed.  She was a top notch cook as well and she helped Dad with the farming during the growing and harvesting seasons.  She also was a gardener and grew both vegetables and flowers. She was tireless it seemed.

One of the quilts that Mom quilted and gave to me had been pieced by my grandmother from scraps that Mom had given her.  I recognize some of the fabrics as having been used for dresses for Mom, my sister and me.  It is a Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt which is fitting since Grandma and Mom both worked on it.  I don't know if Grandma made any other quilts, but this one is special to me.  It has been used and our younger daughter slept under it many years. Unfortunately, she also suffered nose bleeds and the damage was not always discovered early enough to get the stain out.  A busy quilt hides many sins! 


Mom also crocheted the lace bedspread draped over the end of the day bed.


Usually another quilt is on this bed as it has been the grand kid guest room and this one is too delicate for use.  I found a spot that I need to mend on one end when I put it on the bed.


Here is a closer view of those 50's & 60's fabrics and a closer look at the wonderful pink roses that are in the bedspread.


The dust ruffle is recycled from one that was on our older daughter's bed.  Day beds need one long side and two short sides -- just the opposite of regular beds.  The fabric is sort of like a dotted Swiss, but not exactly.  It needed the deep hem as it is quite sheer.


The teddy bear on this little night stand was given to me by my friend, Diane, when my mother died.  She thought I might want something to hug -- she was right!  The teddy bear is made from a quilt beyond repair -- a cutter quilt, beyond use on a bed, but not beyond use!

Don't you love the little Lucille Ball head vase?  These are from the same era as the quilt fabrics in the hexagon quilt.

I have decided to make use of this room as an office since the grand kids don't use it all that much anymore.  It will give me more room in my studio since I won't have to have the computer on the same L-shaped desk that I use for the sewing machine.  It will be much better when I'm quilting on a large quilt to have the extra surface.  I'll show you more of the room as the changes from child's guest room to a feminine office take place.

Friends, I hope you all have a wonderful Mother's Day!

You never get over being a child 'long as you have a mother to go to.
--Sarah Orne Jewett

xoxoXOXOxoxo

Lois




No comments: